Ability to permanently remove a non-constructed wall tile from a room (for an extremely high price)

• Some rooms have very annoying non-constructed wall layouts... we can all think of an example room near us... it would be great if for a suitable high price (e.g. 1 million minerals) we could permanently remove 1 wall tile from the game.

This would allow rooms to be optimised at great cost, and would have a possibly beneficial side effect of operating as a mineral sink (if additional sinks were deemed necessary).

• Dev Team

What if we allow building roads on walls, i.e. "tunnels" with extremely high construction and maintenance cost?

👍👏

• @artch would tunnels act like ramparts in the defense of creeps? it could work both ways, defending both attackers and defenders if you decide to do that... attackers could still "collapse" tunnels too

• Dev Team

What cost ratio seems reasonable for tunnels?

• would it be possible to make it cost 100-500 ghodium to build? No idea what the maintenance should be

• @artch What if we allow building roads on walls,

Why would we do this when we can build ramparts with roads on them for the same price as a wall & road with slightly higher maintenance.

Or are you suggesting sappers ie building tunnels in hostile bases.

• YP

I like the idea of tunnels 🙂

but I guess they should be only allowed in own rooms ?

• Dev Team

@stevetrov I mean roads in natural terrain walls.

• Dev Team

@w4rl0ck

but I guess they should be only allowed in own rooms ?

Not neccessarily. It might open some interesting tactics in neutral rooms too.

• AYCE

Could be neat to tie UO boosts into the ability, whether it be to boost tunneling speed or as a maintenance cost. Seems related (in my mind) and might add usefulness to what appears to be an under-utilized boost.

• @artch said in Ability to permanently remove a non-constructed wall tile from a room (for an extremely high price):

What cost ratio seems reasonable for tunnels?

If we're talking energy only I would go for 25x the cost of swamp roads (or 125x normal roads): 12500 hits every 1000 ticks. That works out at 12.5 hits/tick, or 0.125 energy/tick. That puts the cost to build at 37500 energy, and hit points at 625000 which... seems a lot. Maybe the hits could be toned down, but the energy cost seems alright.

My justification is this: I don't want tunnels to be a no-brainer. Nor do I want them to be a one-off cost (as that quickly gets amortised over time). There are plenty of situations where paying 0.125 (or 0.25, or 0.375) energy per tick is worth it compared to going around.

For example: a RCL 7+ hauler costs 2500 energy. If I can reduce its average trip length by 10% with one tunnel I "save" 250 energy, or 0.17 energy/tick, so there's a net profit. The number of places you'll be able to save that amount of time are probably fairly infrequent, but they exist.

I had originally thought 50x and I think maybe that's too high. Not sure.

• SUN

@tigga Considering that 'tunnels' literally alter the 'shape' of the room having hits that high means that it is possible to meaningfully defend critical tunnels without ramparts.

I feel that the costs are if nothing else, a good starting point too. A major point to note with the costs is that a single tunnel is very rarely going to be enough to bypass obstacles; Two at minimum seems to be what is required in the vast majority of use cases.

• @artch, I like the tunnels idea! Some thoughts:

• Should it be allowed to build tunnels at rooms edges? I guess it's very tricky to implement and make compatible with current path finding.

• Not neccessarily. It might open some interesting tactics in neutral rooms too.

...and not only neutral, but even enemy rooms! As a neutral structure like roads (with neutral construction sites?) tunnels can make possible some powerful "backdoor" siege tactics.

Still, I guess, tunnels will become very high-level and late-game feature and for high-level players only, so it's questionable is it worth to implement. Well, but as a community contribution and for some tokens (like awesome super fancy Tombstones) -- why not? 🤔

• @mototroller A lot of the old guard left due to a lack of new features. Depending on how well this was implemented, it might be enough to bring some of em back... Do not underestimate "late game features." 😛

• @mototroller I like the idea of being able to build in hostile rooms- it wouldn't necessarily be easy, or even useful most of the time, but simply having the option is significant.

Overall, I like the idea.

• Late game features are what this game needs more of. There are lots of early and mid game features. Whether this is actually a late game feature I'm not sure: it's basically a road with (hopefully) a more complex cost:benefit decision to be made than roads as they stand.

There's quite a few additional complications if you allow construction in hostile rooms. I think you'd want the construction site to be attackable, for example. There's other backend changes required such as allowing construction sites in hostile rooms. In general it feels a bit too much like a special case.

While being able to tunnel across room boundaries would also be interesting, I think I'd be against that as well. Too powerful/game changing.

• For the simple case of just building road over the top of terrain walls, I like think a x25 seems reasonable(swamp is 5x more than plain and wall is 5x more than swamp). If that's not enough maybe a 50x bump, but Tigga's suggestion of 125x seems a bit too high.

Being able to travel over walls doesn't seem to be too powerful. Honestly, I might even go so far as suggest that we allow any structure to be built on a wall. This might also create some new base layouts with extensions packed into the walls, or spawns heavily defended with terrain walls on 7 sides. It might also make for boring bases since the natural terrain is no longer a hard constraint.

• @deft-code said in Ability to permanently remove a non-constructed wall tile from a room (for an extremely high price):

For the simple case of just building road over the top of terrain walls, I like think a x25 seems reasonable(swamp is 5x more than plain and wall is 5x more than swamp). If that's not enough maybe a 50x bump, but Tigga's suggestion of 125x seems a bit too high.

I had forgotten about creeps stepping on roads in my calcualtions, so maybe I was a bit high. IMO 0.025 energy/tick + 1.25 energy every time a 50 part creep steps on you is too low though. Maybe double that (eg. 50x) would be ok.

• The idea of Sappers who build a path through a wall as another way of breaking bases is pretty interesting. You could use energy from dismantling on one section to let you sap another section.

• Tunnels with a relatively high maintenance cost is a better idea than my original suggestion, I like it.

Tunnels in neutral rooms would open up some interesting military tactics as well as economics...