Ideas for nukes

• Culture

We were chatting in slack and had some ideas on how to make nukes a more interesting feature in the game.

Basically we came up with some ideas for "fallout" to occur after a nuke goes off. Implementing any of these would provide more of a kick to nukes, but I think it would be cool to implement all of them and have the effect chosen at random.

* Spawn time increases by 3 ticks per part.

* Creep lifetime decreases by 33%.

* Creeps are unable to enter the room (spawn or entering in) without dying (or taking severe damage each tick).

* Mutations, with random body parts turning into other parts.

These effects should stack on multiple nukes.

• SUN

I do like this proposal's creativity (it will make Screeps more entertaining), but I'm afraid it will create even more disbalance between low & high GCL players.

• Culture

Depending on what particular effects are picked it may actually help balance the game out for newer players. It's easier for a player to get a nuke than it is power creeps.

• CoPS

Mutations would be hilarious, but I worry that they have too much potential for someone's scripts to go wrong in a wholly non-deterministic way (e.g. a creep losing all of its MOVE components). How would this affect boosts as well?

I like the idea of adding an effect to structures that were under nukes but not destroyed - to actually give incentive to drop nukes on rooms with e.g. 100M ramparts on the spawns. For example;

• SPAWN - spawn time increases by ~2 per body part
    • RAMPART - decays at 5x speed
    • TERMINAL - cool-down for transactions increases by 10t
    • TOWER - Add a 1tick cooldown to firing, or reduce max capacity by 50%, or minimum damage range decreases.
    • EXTENSION - reduce capacity by 10.
    • Empty space - Creep TTL decreases at 2/tick instead of 1/tick.

I could see this allowing smaller players (lets be honest, firing a nuke is easier than boosting and automating attack squads) to actually apply some real damage to bigger player's rooms, as well as promoting the idea that a room under attack should become more difficult to defend proportional to the number of attacking rooms (e.g. number of launched nukes).

It also adds some neat counter-play - if nukes get launched at your room, instead of building up ramparts to defend, it adds an incentive to move structures.