New terrain tile - Water

• Can we get an impassible water tile?

This would act as a natural barrior like wall but would give the world a bit more colour. Water tiles can be strung together to form a river which creeps can only cross if a bridge is constructed (this can just be the normal road structure)

Perhaps a future update could make use of water as a natural resource.

• This would break a lot of people's pathing code

• Yeah, unfortunately most cool changes like this are kinda too late to add without breaking everything.

• YP

well .... since technically it would not differ from walls it could probably implemented as s cosmetic change without any changes to the api...

• @w4rl0ck said in New terrain tile - Water:

well .... since technically it would not differ from walls it could probably implemented as s cosmetic change without any changes to the api...

Except it does. People check to see if a tile is a wall tile. The API is quite explict. If it was water it would no longer be a wall.

And how would you even place them in a world that is already populated?

• @tigga I sort of expected it to be a child of the wall object. Although you are correct about the world already existing. I guess you could replace some of the already existing walls with water, although this may not look as good as it could be.

Maybe it would be worth coming up with multiple ideas that require the world to be regenerated and start replacing empty sections of the world. I know it's pretty empty near me right now. And the world map looks like it's stitched together in chunks.

• YP

I think it would be pretty easy to identify areas in rooms that would for example qualify to be displayed as a sea instead of a stone isle.

@tigga it could be a wall tile from the terrain type and a different api could reveal the type of the "wall"... besides stone and water maybe more visually different types would be possible.

If you don't like it named "TERRAIN_MASK_WALL" they could name it different and keep an alias with the WALL name.

maybe they use the already existing TERRAIN_MASK_LAVA in the future.