Part of my sectors that i cleared with war for future rooms TURNED GEEEN.

• What the ####? Realy? I spend time and resources to secure the area for next rooms! I dont get it. Please explain me the reasons? Well, i can get some reasons. But this is all ### in comparing to situation. You just ruined my efforts, took away from me some of my time and resources for nothing.

Compensate or release the sector, please. I think its fair. Well, or tell me that all is OK and i'm wrong.

• The most precious resource is time. I spend time manualy controlling some war scripts to understand and break defense of my opponents, cause i wanted to eleminate them before they can build hard defense and fight back.
    And i damn wanted to spend this time working on new ai core instead of this.

• Okey. So. Lets assumethat there is some rule that tells, that sectors like this will become green. It's very important rule. It affects the player choices very hard. Rules like this should be known. Where is it? I dont see it. I read all the game documentation closly. I dont mean i did it after that happend. Its important to know how game works (and its clearly not the game where u should find and understand its rules on your own)

• I have seen a complain about this from top player too and Screep advice to reserve the room to prevent this to happen again.

I'm not sure that they have mention this in the rule or not but there is some related information in Febuary review.

• I can understand advice like this when its about 1 day of room protection. But its not. Its 20 (!!!!!!!) days. I mean things like that should be perfectly clear at least.

• One more thought:
    When green drops i'll eliminate (hope my srcipts will be alive) every player who settled in this rooms, cause this territory is valuable for me.

And this will make this situation even more stupid.

• If you look just a couple of topics below this one you can see the same topic thread. 

http://screeps.com/forum/topic/837/Cleared-area-re-purposed-for-novices

• Thanks for comment. Well, i dont need official answer anymore. I mean, there was already told about documentation and aslo this is realy a rule.

Sorry for an agressive behavior 🙂
    This situation realy pissed me off.

• I feel your pain man.

• Culture

If these rooms were so important to you why didn't you reserve them?

• Well, its obvious. There were no players that could want them so i didnt want to spend resources next 5-10 days just to keep some rooms for future.
    Ofc if i did know about that new-green-rule i'd made something to prevent it. May be i'd left someone alive. Just technicaly. Or i'd make reserving if there is nothing else to do.

• @tedvim, same applies for me. Had I known about the rule, I would have approached the conquest differently.

• Sheesh, you sound like a spoiled brat. The only way to make the game sustainable is to have the novice sector repurposing mechanic. Maybe it needs more balancing. But you sound like you've never played a challenging game before. Occasionally there are set backs you didn't see coming, you deal with it. In an early-release game there might be more of these. With this information in mind, it only makes sense to clear out a room for settlement when you are able to claim or at least reserve the room. Perhaps when the game is closer to a finished state it will be easier to get this information before you need it. As it is, you found it out the hard way, if you don't like that you shouldn't be playing an early release game.

• @bonzaiferroni

"Well, or tell me that all is OK and i'm wrong." That means that i'm ok with this situation even if i don't like it.

I dont want to argue about all that. Its game for programmers. It NEEDS good documentation. I dont mean manuals. I mean clear rules, up to date API. It should be part of developing process equally with programming.

Sorry, but you'r totally wrong, imho.) Let's agree to differ.

• @Bonzaiferroni

Talk about aggressive.

I have to agree with Lupus. This game is not meant to be challenging through obscurity of rules. Game mechanics should be clearly documented to allow proper planning and strategy. Confirmed even by the admins in their own reply.

I am also not entirely sure the re-purposing mechanic is necessary or even useful. As it is right now, as players grow they occupy an ever increasing area. This means any usable free space will eventually be fully utilized by the players themselves. When you re-purpose an area in the center of the map, you are guaranteeing that those players will be forcibly ejected by more established players when the protection ends.

It is very hard for me to imagine how they could survive in a central area seeing how established players are continuously expanding their control.

This mechanic seems almost certain to cause frustrations for everyone involved. That's not counting some of the other problems re-purposing has. Not to mention it is incredibly easy to avoid, if the mechanic is known.

• I agree that this is one of a few other things that need to be documented better. And it is good to point it out as feedback. But demanding compensation is a really childish thing to do, and it speaks of a lot of entitlement issues. I wasn't being aggressive, the worst thing I did was call him a spoiled brat, which is exactly how he sounds.

It is absolutely possible for a player to get a good start from a repurposed novice area. TimeLost is one player near me that spawned in one (pretty close to the middle of the map) and he is doing very well.

• @bonzaiferroni

Clearly you don't understand that i was pissed of and at the moment of 'demanding' i was pretty sure that this all is some kind of mistake.

And yea, last 2 years i have some problems with rage-control as result of some tragic events. So please, can we finish this stupid discussion about aboslutly unimportant things when all things that matter were already written?

• Yeah, definitely not something worth dwelling on. Best wishes to you in the game and elsewhere.

• @bonzaiferroni

Thanks, same 2 you)

@
    I'll write once more about this topic when (if) i'll clear these rooms just to establish fact that this re-purposing aren't working well for players.

• Dev Team

Novice Areas are now documented in this article.