PTR Changelog 2017-07-20: world shards

• I would definitely be fine with any restrictions for architecture reasons. I do think it shouldn't be given huge penalties or delays "just cause". A huge part of the draw of this game is finding out clever ways to push things to the limit and gain an advantage over other players. The more restrictive it gets, the less room for innovation. 

• There seems to be some kind of major bug with memory segments in shards. I sent a creep over to the new shard, and as soon as it appeared, I started seeing all kinds of memory segment related errors on the main shard. I haven't narrowed it down, but it appears my code on the new shard was writing to memory segments which ended up overwriting data in the main segment, which caused chaos on my main shard since I use segments for storing all my room layouts and other important information.

• > The string is rewritten all at once, so the changes are atomic. Updated the documentation a little bit.

Thanks Artem, that was exactly what I was looking for.

A few thoughts on the rest of the thread...

a) I still agree ideologically having an API to do anything that could be done in the UI and affects the outcome is the right goal to strive for, but happy to accept there are practical limitations in getting there.

b) FWIW, there might be some options in the design space here that are automatable but don't need new APIs or UI re-allocation? For example move a creep through a portal into a shard that has none of your creeps yet and 10 cpu automatically shifts there from the shard that has the most CPU. When all creeps/buildings are gone from a shard for 24 consecutive hours the CPU shifts back to the shard with the most CPU. For each controller claimed after the first another 10 CPU shifts. I'm sure there are many other variations if folks like the idea of driving it with a game mechanic but not this exact mechanic.

• int_max

https://cl.ly/181j412A1q0x/Image%202017-07-22%20at%2011.32.42%20AM.png 

I like that idea, but of course I would, I'm a 10 CPU player.

• Culture

Yeah, it definitely helps the 10cpuers (although you'll have to manage getting to the second segment for that to work). However, I think it will make the game far more playable if everyone gets the 10cpu minimum on every shard by default.

• Culture

What happens if a creep joins a shard and it has the same name as another creep already on that shard?

• > I like that idea, but of course I would, I'm a 10 CPU player

Referring to my idea above? Not that I am attached to that particular scheme, but I don't think that one gave any favor to 10 CPU players in my head (sorry!). Left unspecified was that shifting CPU from shard A to shard B only works if shard A has the CPU available to give. For a 10 CPU player after your creep crossed the portal you would have  all 10 CPU in the new shard and no way to get more (without subscribing).

• > It can be used only once per day, thus manual usage is not much harder than scripted usage.

I like the once a day limit, but I have a large objection to this statement: this is not about ease of use.

If people wanted an easy game, there wouldn't be GCL1 players who are working on automatically placing buildings before they build remote mining. The appeal of this game, to many, is that a player can give themselves the challenge of doing _everything by script_.

I mean, the point of practically any game is to introduce challenge - that's what's interesting. For some screeps players, those who are newer to the game, to programming, or have less time, the challenge is simply getting a programmed AI to work at all. For the more experienced players, or those who have more time to play the game, the challenge is making an AI which operates and makes all decisions independently.

I think in your analysis of the situation, you are disregarding the second type of player. I'd count this as unwise - even though they do currently represent a minority, it's far more than 1%, and as more players become more experienced, the balance will continue to shift towards more and more players having full automation as the goal.

This is the reason there are so many players objecting to introducing the API after the feature. If you do this, you're essentially telling these players: either give up on the challenge, or you can't use this feature (shards). It's not about how easy it is, it's about allowing for this extra level of the game you created to exist. Letting people choose to challenge themselves more.

• int_max

Also, a lot of the fully automated players or players getting close tend to be very helpful in the slack channel. (my opinion is quite biased)

• I'm a little late to the party, but I just want to throw my 2 cents in.

I also strongly believe that all game relevant actions should have an API allowing the game AI to run fully automated. This is a game about automation.

It should not be necessary to develop web services to control the game.

CPU and GCL are relevant game resources. Their allocation should be possible to manage from within the game API.

It is fine to restrict this whichever way is necessary, but an API should be provided.

I also strongly believe the same should be applied for the future implementation of power creeps.

• Culture

I started two new threads to break off some of the conversation-

A discussion of minimum cpu on each shard - http://screeps.com/forum/topic/32/Shard-Request-Minimum-CPU-on-all-shards

A request for reduced TTL lose during shard travel - http://screeps.com/forum/topic/33/Shard-Request-Reduce-TTL-Penalties

• Dev Team

The discussion is moved here.