What is up with shard0? The unfairness of slow ticks.

• @adeptofnone No what?

• There is nothing wrong with the so-called "unfairness". Shard0 subscriptions should be increased in price by 37%.

👎👍

• Banned

I can tell you one reason, a lot of the players who bought the game through Steam live there and it benefits them for ticks to be as long as possible. With the recent unannounced change to generatePixel() players can go back to using their cpu just to make the game ticks longer. Be careful asking questions about the game on these forums tho, the @artch has a real ego problem and might threaten you just for asking.

👎

• @tdxtor said in What is up with shard0? The unfairness of slow ticks.:

has a real ego problem and might threaten you just for asking

@tdxtor I share your frustrations but that's unhelpful in the extreme. Knock it off. Let's work to build relations instead of insulting each other.

• @tdxtor I highly doubt the pixel change has caused the ticks to increase. More than likely this was brought on by the number of players (sitting at 2k from 1700 a few months ago) and the addition of seasonal games.

• All I asked was a position from the devs. Even if that position was something like: "Shard 0 is not our priority and will never be, we recommend everybody to leave Shard 0 so it can be decommissioned."

That is what I assume their position is anyway.

• Shard0 exists near a gravity well and thus time moves slower there.

😀⚫

• Dev Team

We will never decommission shard0 since it is an essential part of the game world. However, we don't have any plans to allocate more resources to it in comparison to other shards. Currently they all have similar number of workers, and slow ticks on shard0 is a natural result of its historical difference from other shards. We recommend all players who suffer from slow ticks to migrate to other shards - either via respawning or intershard portals. Other players may find slow ticks beneficial on the contrary. All this information is available on the shards select screen so you can choose carefully.

👍🏻

• Cleanse the outer rooms! ✊ ⚔ ☢

• @artch Thanks!

• @systemparadox Is it true that killing players by the outer layer helps?

• They previously shrank shard0 to speed up the tick rate. I seem to recall some players graciously respawned and a few players helped with an attack effort to clear the others.

The current outer rooms are a lot more dense and I don't think it's a high priority at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that they're deliberately avoiding placing respawn zones in the outer areas.

I am sure that the devs would close blocks of outer rooms if they became empty and eventually shrink the shard again. The inactive rooms and all the portals are a horrible mess and it would be really nice to cleanup shard0 and bring it in line with the other shards.

As soon as I get some decent combat code I'm going on a crusade!

• Is it a fair conclusion that competitive play and cleaning out zombies is part of the game design as way to get better tick times?

This is just a question to better understand the game, not a comment in the form of a question.

• @kingkong said in What is up with shard0? The unfairness of slow ticks.:

Is it a fair conclusion that competitive play and cleaning out zombies is part of the game design as way to get better tick times?

This is just a question to better understand the game, not a comment in the form of a question.

I'm not really sure it's part of the game design. It just is what it is.

☝