When I started playing, not really knowing the game mechanics, I though shard0 was just slow. That is not necessarily a bad thing, I even though it might have been intentional to provide a more slow paced experience and give more time to react IRL.
But as I started learning more about the game, with the tick approaching 6s in Shard0 and with some of the recently added features, I realized just how unfair it is for players in slower shards.
To start with. Technically the CPU subscriptions are 33% less worth for Shard0 since even if you were to just let it pile up in the bucket and convert to pixels, you would end up with 33% less pixels. Conversely, it takes 33% more "resource harvesting power" to be able to afford a subscription in shard0. It also means your GCL and GPL are 33% less valuable.
If a player from another shard decides to cross the portal to attack shard0, it will not only be able to produce 33% more creeps, but also they will be produced 33% faster and will arrive to the portal 33% faster creating a completely one sided fight.
So I guess my question is, what is up with shard0?
- Are there any plans for improving its tick time?
- Are players encouraged to just leave it?
- Are there plans to address the unfairness of it? Lets say if subscriptions gave you a certain number of ticks instead of real life time. Make the leaderboard corrected by the number of ticks?
- Is shard0 on the way to being completely shutdown? I see entire sectors being removed without really an explanation.
- If shard0 is deprecated, can we expect some sort of migration plan?
- Finally, I'm just curious if you guys don't mind sharing, what is the underlying technical reason for it being so slow?
*Assuming the current average of 6s tick duration of shard0 compared to shard1 and shard2 with 4s tick duration.