PTR Changelog 2016-05-09

• Dev Team

This post describes changes on the Public Test Realm. The estimated launch date is May 16.

• Introduced StructureNuke.
    • Added Nuke object prototype.
    • Added FIND_NUKES constant.
    • Added STRUCTURE_NUKE constant.

• Culture

Can we get anti nuke defences? Which got a range of X and has to be loaded with rediculous amount of resources as well?

• Dev Team

You already got one: ramparts. Just start building ramparts at the landing position. 50k ticks is enough time to compensate all the damage if performed properly.

• Culture

This is gonna be amazing, thanks for the information

• Why is such an important change included 3 days before the estimated Patch date? Shouldn't there be more time for testing and preparation? I think, there have enough changes for the 12th piled up to create a decent amount of non-working code and confusion. I think, moving it to a later rollout date would be wise.

• Culture

Can 2 nukes be launched on 1 square in a room?

• Dev Team

Why is such an important change included 3 days before the estimated Patch date? Shouldn’t there be more time for testing and preparation?

It is not a breaking change, and there is not really much to test. Preparation could take forever though, it’s easier to play with when it’s deployed. I doubt there will be immediate nuking all around at the very start.

Can 2 nukes be launched on 1 square in a room?

From different rooms - yes, sure.

• > It is not a breaking change, and there is not really much to test. Preparation could take forever though, it’s easier to play with when it’s deployed. I doubt there will be immediate nuking all around at the very start.

That's what a PTR is for, not the live system.

The new rollout on PTR already introduced several problems, see separate posts in PTR section. I would prefer a robust Game world and have the experiments restricted to the PTR...

• Dev Team

it’s easier to play with

I meant for players, not for us. We already tested and played with it quite a lot locally prior to deploying to the PTR. It's not an experiment actually. For your own experiments it will be available as usual.

• Culture

Giving us time before deploying new features isn't just about making our code work, it's about making sure we have the chance to respond to things. If someone wanted to they could spend the next few days pumping out the code for nukes and have a huge advantage over the people who can't spend that much time on Screeps outside of the weekends. I think for any major new feature we should have at least one weekend where we can have a chance to respond to those changes.

• Culture

I find the icon for incoming nukes extremely ugly. Would it be an idea to use something like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Nuclear_symbol.svg

• Dev Team

OK then, nukes deployment is postponed to May 16.

• Culture

When a nuke is build it takes 100k ticks for the cooldown to complete. So you got even more time now chris.

Than we can expect the first nukes to be launched around the ~20th if the ticks take 2.5 seconds as they do now. The extra delay is a total of ~70 hours

The first impact will be ~35 hours later

• Culture

Will construction sites be affected by the blast of a nuke?

• Dev Team

No, as they don't have hit points.

• Culture

It seems that a single rampart, healed to any value will block a full-blown-nuke

Rampart health: 1000 HP

Structure underneath rampart: 5000 HP

Nuke directly on target: 10.000.000 HP damage

Result:

rampart gone, structure lives

Expected:

Rampart gone, -> bleed damage to structure, Structure gone.

Is this the intended way or is this a bug?

• Dev Team

This shouldn't be the case after the today's update.

• Culture

So it's changed now? (in the last half hour?)

• Dev Team

With the StructureNuke rename.

• Culture

I think all construction sites in the room- or at least the ones in a certain range- should be cleared along with all the creeps.