Podcast about the unidentified Screeps player found dead in a tent.

• Hey all, if you recall, a man was found dead in a tent in Florida in 2018. No ID. No Phone. His notebooks contained dozens of pages of code, which was traced back to Screeps. The sheriff's office down there made a podcast update, interviewing a Screeps player who suggested that this dead man's game could still be operating. Just wanted to pass it along in case anyone had any more thoughts or ideas as to how he could be identified. I'm a journalist who recently published a magazine article about the man.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLnNvdW5kY2xvdWQuY29tL3VzZXJzL3NvdW5kY2xvdWQ6dXNlcnM6NTg1ODkwNzE1L3NvdW5kcy5yc3M/episode/dGFnOnNvdW5kY2xvdWQsMjAxMDp0cmFja3MvODUzODI2OTg5?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwi4_Z2w79TqAhXslXIEHaxFCaQQjrkEegQIChAE&ep=6

👍

• Did you post any clearer pictures of his notes on here J.I know we had one person's interpretation of them but I wasn't sure if it was on this site.

• Hello!

I've been looking at his notebooks (what I can see of them at least) and it seems to me like he was planning on making an Android Game that would use the Screeps servers as a back end using the Screeps APIs. Seems like he was going to have players BUY "Nanites", which seems to be a predefined set of custom designed and coded screeps. (If you notice the page that lists different types of Screeps is very similar to the types of Nanites he was going to be selling his players on the other page.)

It's a very interesting Idea but I highly doubt the devs would have allowed it (at least not without getting "a piece of the action.")

It also seems like he was intending to mine cryptos on the Screeps servers with extra CPU time.

All this (along with his nutrition bars ideas) seems to me like he was financially desperate and looking for ways to make a bunch of money, fast.

Q: Was this guy Homeless?

Q: Any further info on the possible "Wasting Disease" the hiker had?

Just my interpretation of the Notebooks, please keep us updated!!!

Thanks!

• @teknorapture Thanks, this is all interesting and admittedly, as a non-player, I don't really know what you're talking about. I was sort of baffled/impressed that he would write all this out on paper.

I don't think he was homeless but nothing can be ruled out. He had nearly $4,000 on him.

The best guess I can come up with is that he was already thin, stopped at this campsite in South Florida and got sick, perhaps from water. Maybe sitting in a tent, in that heat, just dropped him too far, past the point of return, and he starved and suffered for a long time, unable to move.

• I forget, did someone already confirm or rule out screeps profile MostlyHarmless and the associated steam profile, urhorn?

• @jnark

Always good to bump up a little creepy.paste. Just in case. ♀

The amount of IQ in this post is beginning to smell.

planning on making an Android Game that would use the Screeps servers as a back end using the Screeps APIs

mine cryptos on the Screeps servers with extra CPU time

Right there:

baffled/impressed that he would write all this out on paper.

• https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/12/the-mystery-of-deceased-hiker-mostly-harmless-is-at-long-last-solved/

Mystery solved. There's a name and username in that blog post (long read)

👍