Non-subscription shard launched

• Dev Team

• A permanent "starter area" is a nice way of moving away from the time-limited subscription - when I first started the game I didn't run up against cpu limits before the trial ran out, it was only later, GCL4/5 that my code was doing enough for cpu to be an issue so the trial was basically meaningless to me.

This new constrained area will give a challenge for older players who want something different to work on, while also somewhat limiting the power differential between old and new players in the shard. This should provide a softer landing and an easier/longer on-ramp for new players.

There are some well-thought out changes being made to the game in the last month or two👍

👍

• Should the 20 CPU limit apply to other shards or only shard3? I'm on shard2 and currently the CPU limit still appears to be 10. Is this intentional?

• Awesome! Quick question: how does this limit count against your total CPU for non-subscribers? Can you have a 20cpu room on shard 3 and expand to a 10cpu room on another shard?

• Dev Team

@systemparadox Please check again now.

• Dev Team

@davaned If you're a non-subscriber, you only have 20 CPU in your pool to assign obviously, so you can only assign what is available.

• Yes I'm up to 20 CPU now. Thanks!

• I misunderstood, I thought it was a shard3 only special to get 20 cpu 🙂

Awesome, really glad to have the additional cpu to stay engaged even when not subscribed!

• I really like this!

Since players will be way less expansive due to the CPU limit, it will take a whole lot of time until Shard3 will be full. And it also solves all the "when does my subscription start"-confusion. Two birds with one stone! 🙂

• I just started a week or two ago. How do i respawn to the new shard?

• @frop If you click on your name at the top right corner of the screen, you should see "respawn" as one of the options in the menu that appears.

👍

• Is this for steam buyers only or completely free?

• This is only for steam buyers. See the order page:

Buy Screeps on Steam

This package includes both your private server and permanent access to our official server with 20 CPU limit.

• This sounds like a good compromise. New steam players get to build up a pretty decent base and can actually compete on an even playing field, while retaining the ability to get a subscription if they feel like it.

Only problem is, it seems like cross-sharding your script would need to be made easier to avoid having shard3 impact profits too much (since if it's too hard to expand outside of shard3 due to cross-shard mechanics, players are less likely to expand and thus get a subscription).