So after giving it more thought (thanks again for all feedback), and evaluating how my previous design did, I drew a few conclusions:
- The design must be spherical / square to have centered towers
- The design must have easily accessible exits for active defenders and lazy traffic management
- The spawns must be on or near the outside to reduce congestion and save
move intents after spawning
- The terminal and storage must be near the labs
- There must be a link near the storage and terminal
- The design must be my own, instead of being a copy
I came up with the following:
It's 13x13, so not as compact as such designs (like Overmind's 11x11), but definitely not huge either by any standard.
I'm pretty happy with how many open diagonals I was able to fit in, hopefully allowing me to postpone real traffic management until I've finished more interesting modules.
The top and right edges have a blind spot for active defenders. I'm too much of a sucker for symmetry to move one of them to the spot top-right of the storage, and I don't want to block the diagonals, but particularly the right edge seems like the weakest spot because of the single full-damage tower. I might give up the topleft-bottomright diagonal by filling the gaps between the
I decided to go ahead and make a few more small changes, so I fixed the blind spots at the cost of the topleft-bottomright diagonal. Given the other parallel routes, it's not too bad to give it up. The image above is updated to reflect these changes, though the old version is here.
Another downside of this design will probably be fill speed, though that wasn't high up on my list of concerns.
I'm still considering the build order, and might swap the top-left spawn
@Orlet I really liked your layout, but wanted something more "open". As well as my own design
Who's available for round 2 of feedback?