PTR Changelog 2020-06-05: Decorations

• I was testing the creep decorations yesterday and I find I a bit too static how it is if I got it right. Here is my idea how to make the creep decorations more dynamic and improve the usage of different decorations:

A decoration should have a name instead of the name regex as it is now. Then it should be possible to add a decoration to a creep by code e.g. creep.setVisual([decorationName]) or something similar. Or maybe just set a value in the creeps memory.

This would enable us to change the creeps appearance on the fly. For example from the winter theme to the same visual but the fire theme if it is in attack mode or change the visual corresponding to the task the creep is doing.

This way it would improve the usability of multiple creep visuals and make it more interesting to use them in the first place at the same time.

• Picking your creeps decoration from Memory isn't a good idea, if other players can see it. Besides the performance nightmare of accessing Memory every tick of every player drawn on the screen, you also have the issue that now there is pathway in the server that allows other players to peek at your memory, don't cross the streams Ray.

The core idea isn't bad though, something akin to Creep.say that you can set to the id of the decoration you want applied.

👻

• Dev Team

Exposing decorations in the API does not match our design concept. We are not going down that road in any of its form. Decorations is a fully client-side feature.