Need some help improving my CPU usage

• @keenathar a lot of new players have their creeps "reconsider" what to do every tick. There's a lot of overhead there. Consider looking for a way to save the "task" they choose so that after starting to do something, they can keep working every tick without as much CPU usage.

That's exactly what i do.

As an example, my "refillers" (which purpose is to transport energy while other creeps dropmine) do...

if i carry 0 energy -> i'm empty
    else if i carry all energy i can -> i'm full

if(i'm full)
        if i find enemies
            try to unload at towers
        else
            try to unload at extensions or spawns
            if i can't and i still have room available
                try to pick dropped energy
                if i can't
                    try to unload wherever you can

else if i'm empty
        try to pick dropped energy
        if i can't
            load energy from nearest container or storage

As you suggested, i'll try yo rewrite as many code as i can to have my creeps choosing a task and not wondering about anything until they finished it. It sounds less efficient to me, but i'll give it a try.

Thanks!!

@SystemParadox I have Screeps-Profiler, but i just know how to Game.profiler.profile(xxx);. And then i don't know how to go further in order to know where exactly a big amount of certain calls come from.

Thanks again guys, i really really appreciate!

• @calfa said in Need some help improving my CPU usage:

As you suggested, i'll try yo rewrite as many code as i can to have my creeps choosing a task and not wondering about anything until they finished it. It sounds less efficient to me, but i'll give it a try.

In fact, I have recently finished a rewrite of my just workers code from the model where each creep would try to look for things to do into a more centralized "dispatcher", that would also be aware what other creeps doing and only dispatch as many workers as necessary. And that resulted in a significant CPU use decrease, moreover, stuff is now indeed done more efficiently as well, because instead of all workers zooming off to do a small task, only one or two do, while others continue doing whatever they were doing at that time (or sitting at spawn and singing kumbaya).

• I reply myself in case it's useful for someone else in the future.

I'm working on each creep's role code to prevent them from trying to do the same thing each tick, like when using...

let repairResult = creep.repair(target);
    if(repairResult == ERR_NOT_IN_RANGE){
        creep.moveTo(target);
    }

Also, i have a module called "setMemory" in which i check if there are damaged structures, construction sites, spawns, energy sources, containers next to an energy source, enemies and a lot more stuff.

I divided that module into parts like...

if(Game.time % 5 == 0){
        //Here i look for enemies, construction sites, damaged structures, ...
    }   
    if(Game.time % 20 == 0){
         //Here i look for my towers, containers, ...
    }
    if(Game.time % 100 == 0){
        //Here i look for spawns, energy sources and stuff that doesn't change much...
    }

So far, i'm managing 2 rooms with controller level 3~4 with 4~5 cpu. Each of those rooms has2 miners, 3 upgraders, 1 hauler and depending on the amount of construction sites/damaged structures it also has 1~2 builders and 1~2 repairers. I don't really know if it's cool or still much cpu usage, but comparing to what i was doing few days ago, it's f***** awesome!

Thanks a lot guys for your help!!! I really really appreciate it!!!

• As you suggested, i'll try yo rewrite as many code as i can to have my creeps choosing a task and not wondering about anything until they finished it. It sounds less efficient to me, but i'll give it a try.

Trust me, you're saving a lot of processing 🙂 In your old situation each creep would search for enemies, for example, to determine if it should fill a tower. Those searches are moderately expensive, and literally a repeat of what an earlier hauler was already doing. Finding a way to cache that really helps.

Additionally, the creeps are re-checking every tick. So not only do they technically find a new target every tick (with all cpu costs involved), it's also possible for them to switch targets really inefficiently.
    For example, if your creep is bringing energy to an extension but an enemy scout walks in, that enemy gets shot by the tower. Your hauler then turns around and wants to refill the tower instead. However, is it really that bad that the tower is at 990 energy instead of 1000? If you do, your creep has wasted a lot of its life first walking to the extension and then turning around, before having filled it. With a "saved" task, it will just fill the extension and only then see what to do.

So if I understand you correctly, your new system searches for all enemies and objects on the room level and then lets the creeps use that data. That's already a huge improvement in removing duplicate searches!

There's only one thing I'm not sure you've considered: the way you currently check for the different "categories" (% 5, % 20 and % 100), all these searches potentially happen on the same tick. Because 100 % 20 == 0 and 100 % 5 == 0, they are guaranteed to trigger together. A simple trick is using an offset for Game.time. If you check for Game.time % 5, (Game.time + 1) % 20 and (Game.time + 2) % 100 they no longer trigger in the same tick. So the cpu is spread out more evenly. In a small colony that won't really matter, but later on it might be helpful.

• @keenathar I've been working on finishing tasks for the last days with a tiny success. Repair and Build are examples of what i got. Now i store targetToRepair in creep's memory and only when it runs out of energy and fills itself again will look for a new target which need to be repaired more urgently. For building, "targetToBuild" will remain in memory until it's finished.

My "new" issue is for stuff regarding "loading" and "unloading" energy, because i don't really know how to keep this in memory (it all became a little big to me xD)

The following are my modules for Loading and Unloading energy

let loadEnergy = {

/*
        creep:      the creep calling the function
        args:       a string telling the function which type of structure i want it to load from
        min:        minimum amount of energy the structure must have in order to be considered as a valid one
        maxDist:    the maximum distance from the creep in order to be considered as a valid one (a piece of shit actually, so i normally use Infinity)
        REUSE_PATH is a constant i set to 10 to see if i had any improvement on performance. Hard to say, tbh
        */
            run: function(creep, args, min, maxDist){
                let fromContainers = false;
                let fromStorages = false;
                let fromLinks = false;
                let fromSpawns = false;
                let fromTowers = false;
                let fromExtensions = false;
                if(args && args.length){
                    for (let i in args){
                        switch(args[i]){
                                case 'extensions'   :   {fromExtensions = true;}    break;
                                case 'containers'   :   {fromContainers = true;}    break;
                                case 'storages'     :   {fromStorages = true;}      break;
                                case 'links'        :   {fromLinks = true;}         break;
                                case 'towers'       :   {fromTowers = true;}        break;
                                case 'spawns'       :   {fromSpawns = true;}        break;
                                case 'any'          :   {fromExtensions = false;
                                                        fromContainers = true;
                                                        fromStorages = true;
                                                        fromLinks = true;
                                                        fromTowers = true;
                                                        fromSpawns = false;}        break;

default:                console.log('Invalid input at LoadEnergy(): '+args[i]);     break;

}
                    }
                }
                let target = null;
                target = creep.pos.findClosestByPath(FIND_STRUCTURES, {
                    filter: function(structure){
                        return (
                            (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_STORAGE        && _.sum(structure.store) > min &&  fromStorages)      ||
                            (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_CONTAINER      && _.sum(structure.store) > min &&  fromContainers  && creep.room.memory.mineralContainer != structure.id)    ||
                            (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_TOWER          &&       structure.energy > min &&  fromTowers)        ||
                            (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_LINK           &&       structure.energy > min &&  fromLinks)         ||
                            (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_SPAWN          &&       structure.energy > min &&  fromSpawns)        ||
                            (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_EXTENSION      &&       structure.energy > min &&  fromExtensions)
                        );
                    }
                });

//Creep has already found the closest target to load from, but if it's still further than maxDist, it won't go :/
                if(target != null && creep.pos.getRangeTo(target.pos) <= maxDist){
                    let loadResult;
                    if(creep.pos.isNearTo(target)){
                        creep.withdraw(target, RESOURCE_ENERGY);
                    }else{
                        creep.moveTo(target, {reusePath: REUSE_PATH, visualizePathStyle: {stroke: '#ffffff'}});
                        //Usually set to false
                        if(CREEPS_SPEAK){
                            creep.say('⬆');
                        }
                    }
                }else{
                    return 'noTarget';
                } 
            }
        }
    module.exports = loadEnergy;

And for unloading....

let unloadEnergy = {

/*
        creep: again the creep calling the module
        args: a string representing the structures to be considered as valid
    */
        run: function(creep, args) {
            //Where to unload
            let atContainers = false;
            let atLinks = false;
            let atStorages = false;
            let atSpawns = false;
            let atTowers = false;
            let atExtensions = false;
            let atTerminals = false;
            if(args && args.length){
                for(let i in args){
                    switch(args[i]){
                        case 'containers':      atContainers = true;        break;
                        case 'links':           atLinks = true;             break;
                        case 'storages':        atStorages = true;          break;
                        case 'spawns':          atSpawns = true;            break;
                        case 'towers':          atTowers = true;            break;
                        case 'extensions':      atExtensions = true;        break;
                        case 'terminals':       atTerminals = true;         break;
                        case 'any':             atContainers = true;
                                                atLinks = true;
                                                atStorages = true;
                                                atSapwns = true;
                                                atTowers = true;
                                                atExtensions = true;
                                                atTerminals = true;     break;
                        default:                console.log('Invalid input at UnloadEnergy(): '+args[i]);       break;
                    }
                }
            }
            let target = creep.pos.findClosestByPath(FIND_STRUCTURES, {
                filter: function(structure){
                    return (
                        (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_LINK && atLinks) ||
                        (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_CONTAINER && _.sum(structure.store) < structure.storeCapacity && (structure.storeCapacity - _.sum(structure.store) > creep.carry.energy) && atContainers)    ||
                        (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_STORAGE && _.sum(structure.store) < structure.storeCapacity && (structure.storeCapacity - _.sum(structure.store) > creep.carry.energy) && atStorages)      ||
                        (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_TERMINAL &&  _.sum(structure.store) < structure.storeCapacity && atTerminals)     ||
                        (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_SPAWN && structure.energy < structure.energyCapacity && atSpawns)        ||
                        (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_TOWER && structure.energy < structure.energyCapacity && atTowers)        ||
                        (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_EXTENSION && structure.energy < structure.energyCapacity && atExtensions)
                    );
                }
            });
            if(target != null) {
                let unloadResult;
                if(creep.pos.isNearTo(target)){
                    unloadResult = creep.transfer(target, RESOURCE_ENERGY);
                    if(CREEPS_SPEAK){
                        creep.say('⬇');
                    }
                }else{
                    creep.moveTo(target, {reusePath: REUSE_PATH, visualizePathStyle: {stroke: '#ffffff'}});
                    unloadResult = ERR_NOT_IN_RANGE;
                }
                return unloadResult;
            }else{
                return 'noTarget';
            }
        }
    };
    module.exports = unloadEnergy;

I tried to write it as clear as possible, sorry if it isn't clear enough.

Can you show me the way to do this lighter? I bet one hand these two modules are my biggest issue right now regarding cpu usage, because almost every creep i have uses them, and they are permanently asking for closest stuff and so on.

• Finally!!!

Thinking of it was vastly harder than doing it once i figured out how to. Only added a few lines, and cpu usage came down from 22~23 to about 19!

Next thing i'm doing is a review of all tips you guys gave me, and maybe tomorrow i give a try to Bonzaiferroni - Traveler.

I'll change this to "solved" but any tip you could give me will still be very welcome.

Cheers!!

• Hi again!

Although I marked it as "Solved", because biggest issue is solved, i'm still trying to improve cpu usage. I just used profiler and found that:

In first place, i have "moveTo", so i'm just giving a try to "Traveler".

In second place i have "harvest" and don't think there's anything i can do about it, because only creeps harvesting are miners (all of them drop-mining. Some of them in my own rooms and a few more in neutral rooms) and they do "harvest" once per tick/creep and only when isNearTo(source).

And in 3rd and 4rth place i found this...

2089		416.5		0.199		Creep.move
    1672		350.9		0.210		Creep.moveByPath

But i didn't use any of those in my code...why are they there?

Also, how can i use profiler in a single module rather than using it on the main module? (like...

Game.profiler.profile(loadEnergy, 500);

Thank you!!! 😄

• Creep.move and Creep.moveByPath are called by Creep.moveTo, as you can see here. You should also be aware that most profilers measure cumulative execution time, so the true average cost of Creep.moveByPath is about 0.02, as 0.199 is taken up when it calls Creep.move.

• @muon Oh i see, should've supposed. Thanks!!

Profling again with Traveler On, let's see 😄

• I'll keep upgrading this post as i keep finding ways to improve CPU usage. Eventually, someone else will search for posts like this, and hope it can be useful for him/her.

I use the drop-mining system and although i was already storing in memory each miner's source, i was still doing...

if(creep.pos.isEqualTo(myContainer.pos)){
        creep.harvest(mySource);
    }

The problem with this is that creep was checking for its position every tick, so when i realized, i started doing this:

if(creep.memory.inPosition == true){
        creep.harvest(Game.getObjectById(creep.memory.mySource));
    }else{
        let myContainer = Game.getObjectById(creep.memory.myContainer);
            //When miners are created, in their memory mySource equals 0.
            if(creep.memory.mySource == 0){
                creep.memory.mySource = creep.pos.findClosestByPath(FIND_SOURCES).id;
            }else{
                creep.memory.inPosition = true;
        }else{
            //Using Bonzai Ferroni Traveler. Otherwise would just use moveTo() instead.
            creep.travelTo(myContainer);
        }
    }

This way, once a miner reaches its mining position, "inPosition" will be set to true and for the rest of its lifetime it will only check for this boolean and if true will harvest, reducing the amount of cpu used.

Another thing that might be obvious to you, but wasn't to me, is that i've been creating the same creeps from controller level 3 to controller level 6. The problem is that the amoun of other structures has increased, so there are many other new things happening. I considered creating bigger creeps but then i thought...why would i create bigger upgraders (an example) if those are doing fine? The answer is that a single bigger creep runs code once, while 3 smaller creeps run the same code 3 times.

A similar principle applies to creeps which job is to reserve a room. Rather than continuously create creeps with 2 CLAIM parts, i will create (thanks @Robalian! ) a creep with some more CLAIM parts. Instead of creating it when the previous one dies (each 600 ticks), i will create them each few thousand ticks and it will bring controller to 5k very fast, reducing the average cpu consumed by this sort of creeps.

As i said, hope this helps someone some day!!

• If you're really tight for CPU you can take this even further, creating oversized creeps with more parts than they need allows them to finish their work with fewer actions and save CPU.

This is how I managed to run 9 rooms with 10 CPU - I created harvesters with 9 WORK instead of 6 so they would make fewer calls to creep.harvest and cost less CPU. The energy wasted by having the extra parts was far outweighed by the ability to mine more sources. At one point I had them with 12 WORK, which is still a net benefit if you're right up to the CPU cap, but feels a bit excessive.

👍

• @systemparadox Thanks for the tip!! At this moment my cpu is near the limit, but i haven't modiffied the creep's number/size. In a future that's the next thing i'll do. Thank you so much!!

if(creep.memory.inPosition == true){
        creep.harvest(Game.getObjectById(creep.memory.mySource));
    }else{
        let myContainer = Game.getObjectById(creep.memory.myContainer);
            //When miners are created, in their memory mySource equals 0.
            if(creep.memory.mySource == 0){
                creep.memory.mySource = creep.pos.findClosestByPath(FIND_SOURCES).id;
            }else{
                creep.memory.inPosition = true;
        }else{
            //Using Bonzai Ferroni Traveler. Otherwise would just use moveTo() instead.
            creep.travelTo(myContainer);
        }
    }

You might want to consider something about this code: if a miner uses findClosestByPath after spawning, they'll all use the same source until you get a second spawn. Additionally, findClosestByPath is pretty expensive. You're not using it often so it's not that big of a deal, but perhaps still consider changing this method of choosing a source.

Additionally, you could consider combining myContainer.pos.x and myContainer.pos.y into a single number, so that you no longer have to run isEqualTo but instead can compare two integers.

• @keenathar 🤔 Yes, i didn't consider that eventually i will have more than 1 spawn per room, and 2 miners spawning at the same tick could be assigned to the same container. Honestly i don't know how to solve that at this moment, but i'm sure i'll figure out how.

About comparing both integers rather than calling isEqualTo is something i didn't think of since it's something that only happens once per creep, but an improvement is an improvement, so i'll do it too!! (i actually play more for the sake of learning coding than for the game itself, so things like that are even more valuable to me)

Thanks a bunch!!!

• My quick solution to multi-spawning issues was to only allow one creep to be spawned each tick. If any of the spawns tries to initiate a spawn it sets room.spawning = true (which only lasts for that tick). The spawning code just returns immediately if that flag is set.

I've been trying to keep memory usage to a minimum and I seem to use one-tick flags like this a lot.

About comparing both integers rather than calling isEqualTo is something i didn't think of since it's something that only happens once per creep

Generalize it so that you can use it in all your movement code 🙂

• I would question the value of optimising isEqualTo. It's literally 3 equality checks. If it's not showing up in the profile as a significant portion of the CPU time I wouldn't bother.

Remember the rule of optimisation: profile first, then optimise only the parts that need it.

• @systemparadox I do the same, but I went one step further: I just run the spawning code once per room. No flags needed 🙂 I just grab the first spawn off the availableSpawns list, which i build by getting all spawns in the room and filtering off ones that are currently spawning. If no spawns available, just quit the entire function early until next tick.

• @systemparadox Fuck my life 😂

I just coded my rooms so that they can only spawn 1 creep each tick to avoid duplicity on their names (name + Game.time), but just found a new issue. On each room's memory i have entries such as "desiredUpgraders = 1".

Then, on another module, i count creeps that belong to that room like that...

totalUpgraders = 0;
    for (let i in Game.creeps){
        let thisCreep = Game.creeps[i];
        if(thisCreep.memory.role == 'upgrader'){
            totalUpgraders ++;
        }
        //And so on...
    }
    //And then...
    if(totalUpgraders < desiredUpgraders){
        SpawnCreep('upgrader');
    }

That was working perfectly so far, because there was only one spawn per room, but now that i have a room with controller level 7 and i have 2 spawns it will begin spawning that desired upgrader. Then, room.memory.isSpawning will be set to true for one tick to avoid duplicity on names, but the very next tick it will start spawning another upgrader on the other available spawn because the one being created doesn't exist yet so totalUpgraders < desiredUpgraders still returns true.

I've been thinking on how to face this situation for a while, but can't see how at this moment. How do u solve this?

• Creeps exist while they are being spawned. That is, if you Spawn.spawnCreep([MOVE], 'scout1'), on the next tick Game.creeps.scout1 will exist, but with creep.spawning = true.