PTR Changelog 2016-04-07

• Dev Team

This article describes changes on the Public Test Realm.

• Increased containers decay time from 100 ticks to 500 ticks if the room is owned.
    • Added new signature to the RoomPosition.inRangeTo method: inRangeTo(x,y,range).

• Culture

There's not really any reason to ever need a container in an owned room (not including reserved rooms.)

Unless the container can transfer to another structure (like a link) on its own then I don't see many, if any, scenarios where it will be useful. Links already fulfill the purpose of short term storage and they cut down on traffic.

As it is though, using a container in reserved/distant rooms means you can't boost those miners with harvest boosts since they won't have enough work to repair the container in their down time.

6 work harvests a whole source in 250 ticks, 50 ticks of down time.

6 work = 30k repaired in 50 ticks, 3 work tier 1 boost = 15k repaired, 2 work tier 2 boost = 10k repaired

Container decay every 300 ticks = 15k

And since you can't double up on boosts on the same part there's just no way to utilize them.

• Dev Team

Containers are useful on RCL1-3 levels. Also, they can store minerals and power unlike links.

> And since you can't double up on boosts on the same part there's just no way to utilize them.

You may try to split your boosts among WORK parts, e.g. 3 harvest boosts + 3 repair boosts for a 6xWORK creep.

• I use containers in all my rooms, because links alone can't handle the amount of energy I transport to a room. With this change I'll use them even more.

Secondly, I'm afraid I have to report a bug, since I'm repairing and harvesting simultaneously. I understand now that this is not supposed to be possible.

• I agree mostly with Hernanduer. I see absolutely no use for containers in developed rooms. I agree with some use for RCL1-3, but since RCL4 can be easily accomplished in a day, i don't put effort into building these, when I know I don't need them anymore the next day.

If the decay would be lowered to 200 ticks for reserved rooms it would significantly increase the usefulness! Losing only 0.25 energy per tick instead of 1 (or more) would be able to convince me to actually use it besides the increased logistical efforts.