Steam Client Lag & Crash

• Dev Team

Please open screeps.com web site in your downloaded version of Chromium (not Chrome) and test the game there. You cannot fix the Steam client yourself, but you can help us to find the issue so that we can fix it.

• YP

@artch

I can do that. I did not realize I could provided needed feedback to you. I'm testing now via the Chromium browser.

Is there anything you would like me to look for or just report back with basic performance impressions?

• YP

@artch

OK, I've been running the Chromium client as asked for about an hour now.

My thoughts:

I'm not sure, but I think the performance is actually better than vanilla Chrome. I never had it slow down and movement between rooms seems to be very fast. My cursor never slowed down and busy rooms are not slow.

I did have one "Oh snap!" page crash where the console window on the second monitor and the primary display page both crashed at the same time. I hit "reload" on the primary page and it came right back up to where I was. I had to close and then reopen the console on the second monitor.

I will continue to use Chromium for the game over the next couple of days in case you all have metering on it or something you are looking at.

• YP

Update,

I ran the Chromium client all day since my last post. I've been doing everything. In and out of rooms, building, selecting troops, ect... with no issues except ---

Every once in a while the page will get an "Oh Snap" error and both the main page and the console page I have on the second monitor. If I refresh the main page it will come back up just fine. The console page on the second monitor must be closed and reopened from the main page to fix.

That's it. I will continue to run the Chromium client for the next couple of days, but it looks to be mostly stable and working fine.

Note that I solved my problem with the Steam client and committing code via a work around. I keep the Steam client open on an empty highway page and minimized in the background. It will do the auto commit for me. I then run the game on the Chromium client which works correctly. I edit my code in Webstorm and the Steam client commits it. The game runs just fine through it all on the Chromium browser.

I will stop posting on this thread now unless you need something more from me. I will only post back if something different happens on the Chromium client.

• YP

Ooops! Just started getting a "Memory Error". "To many tabs are open" error in the Chromium browser.

The only way to fix it was to close and reopen the browser.

The same Chromium browser had been running all afternoon and just started getting the error.

• @zpike I believe the "too many tabs open" is unrelated to specific performance issues. If you have >1 chrome/chromium tabs or windows viewing the same room, you will get this error...regardless of your use of the Steam client or Chrome/Chromium. (Interestingly world-view doesn't currently generate this conflict) I have to assume they've tried to limit irrational requests to the same client from the server, particularly as the error is game-generated with a nice large centralised font rather than a generic browser error.

This can be "teased" out by viewing the same room from each browser in quick succession. After you've done it once, all subsequent conditions that would generate the "too many tabs" error don't appear. I flirt with this error all the time...

• YP

@mashee

I'll give that a try. TY 🙂

• Dev Team

We've just updated our Steam client to a newer Chromium version 59. Could you please check it and tell us if you see any difference?

• @artch

Not sure if it is related, however I started getting serious lag when going into the "Construct" menu starting yesterday after steam updated Screeps.

I get the same results when using the Steam client and Screeps.com on Chrome. I tried the Chromium download from above (Version 50) and am not getting this behavior.

• @kitkatod I'm also getting strange construction behavior, but only as of the last few hours. Can't remove construction sites with the UI, working with code however.

edit: 3hrs later, remove construction site working with UI.