Idea: Possibility to upgrade buildings

• Culture

In IRC we were discussing that the current storage structure can become quite insufficient at higher levels.

We came up with the idea to "upgrade" buildings with complex minerals/energy. As this will affect late-game efficiency it is a good idea to make this complex.

This creates the need for more complex scripts in late-game scenario's

This way you could increase building efficiency just the way you can increase a creeps performance with mineral boosts.

Examples:

• Upgrade Storage with a few million energy increases it's storage capacity to 2 million.
    • Boosting/upgrading towers with a mineral does X amount more damage against Y body parts, this can have negative drawbacks such as requiring more energy/shot/heal/repair.

Any idea's are welcome 

• Culture

Not sure what plans are exactly with Power outside of heroes, but what if power would be required to upgrade buildings? 

Would really love to be able to have more capacity in the terminal. Even just 200k would be much more manageable given the numerous types of minerals to store and move around. 

• I second this idea. A long time ago i wrote a rather lengthy feature request about this exact topic, which atm. I cant seem to find anymore.

Basically I would not stop with the storage, but rather give the option to upgrade a lot of buildings. In my first post about upgrading, I suggested the possibility to upgrade extensions on RCL7/8 (at that time on all levels they could only hold 50 energy, but you could build an unlimited amount of them at RCL8). Now we got this for free (sadly). I'd rather have to upgrade each single extension to hold more energy - this is far more rewarding than just hitting the next RCL and instantaneously having insane amounts of energy capacity available.

Also I would like to upgrade (or perhaps only temporarily boost?) spawns, to reduce construction time and/or costs, upgrade links for more capacity/fewer energy loss, observers for more range/longer observation duration, terminals for more capacity and energy effectiveness. Labs for increases effectiveness. There are so many possiblities which would make room development more rewarding past RCL8.

• Culture

A lot of this is intended to be incorporated into heroes I believe.

(This is still under development.) Power creeps may be defined as "hero units" from other strategy games. They do not age, can be respawned repeatedly in case of defeat, have no standard skills of regular creeps, but can use special unique Powers such as increasing the capacity of an energy source or mineral deposit, instant completion of spawning/building, bonuses for attack, defense, and/or work effectiveness of other regular creeps around, long-range sniper shots, remote blocking of enemy creeps and structures activity, and many more. You select the power you need in your account from the list of available powers and then gradually develop it by means of points from gathered and registered power resources. You can have as many power creeps and powers as the points you gathered allow.

http://support.screeps.com/hc/en-us/articles/205971132-Power

It also appears they decided to have boosts take some of those abilities as well.

• Dev Team

Yes, upgrading structures will be an ability of some power creeps classes. Most likely it will require raw ghodium with a cooldown depending on the corresponding creep's power level.

• Culture

Even more reason to stockpile ghodium!