Way to exploit construction sites as defensive warnings

• I can make a row of construction sites in a remote room where I don't have visibility, then poll the existence of those sites to find out when a hostile creep walks across them.

I think this shouldn't work.

I can't immediately think of a way to fix this.

• I agree this shouldn't work. Remote rooms shouldn't let anything come out of them. It's always bothered me that you can flag and construct in remote rooms.

Can you post an example bit of code that shows how your accomplishing this?

A fix would seem to be that getObjectById() return nil if the object is in a room you don't have visibility for.

• I agree it isn't ideal, but to same problem exists even if you do have visibility when you place the sites. You can only place 100 sites, so enemies could easily walk around them. If you made it so they couldn't walk around, then an enemy could walk over them on purpose with a 1 move creep to set whatever you've got off. -- You don't get a huge benefit.

There are also out of band ways to watch rooms, like through an external client or replay watcher.

• Culture

With a limit of 100 construction sites this mechanic would be extremely limited, and the more you used it the less you could build. It would also require memory usage and cpu to maintain. There are much, much better ways to see when enemies are coming (using observers and 1m scout creeps)- this isn't really an exploit so much as it is a bad idea.