Web client room view pegging CPU/browser always

• Dev Team

I noticed that with the new update, the towers rotate very jerkily. Before, they would rotate smoothly, but now they rotate a lot when the tick updates, and then remain still for the rest of the tick.

This is intended. They now rotate every 10 seconds (not every tick) to random positions.

• Dev Team

We've just added new "Smooth animations" display option on the PTR. Please try disabling it and check whether it makes any difference. Also, please check the scenario when a lot of creeps are moving simultaneously, i.e. when the position change animation happens.

• Culture

Hi!

Just gave the smooth animations button a try on the PTR. It does seem to halve the CPU usage.

Did some quick tests in the sim as well:

45% CPU with few creeps and not much going on.

75% CPU with 40 extensions near creeps (and a few more? like 5)

85-95% CPU with 12 creeps and say bubbles.

Adding tons of roads near where animations happens ups it to 110%.

Tons of roads, 40 extensions, 12 creeps, and paused (only things animating are sources and keeper lairs) is using 50% CPU.

Re-enabling smooth animations at any point seems to max out CPU (100%-130% is as far as the browser tab goes on this machine).

Can't tell if the combination of animations or animations-near-things-that-get-redrawn are causing more of the problems. This switch certainly helps in the meantime!

• Dev Team

Well, I forgot to mention that in case of the simulation all tests should be performed in the paused state. Otherwise it is unclear what uses the resources - browser rendering or the simulation computation itself.

• Culture

I see a small CPU-drop when using the option in the off position. It's about 2% less. It could be that the CPU was hammered first, and now has some idle time. I'm assuming it's consuming less cpu-resources.

I can't test the new option in simulator as the button isn't there yet. So no reliable "no-tick-cpu-usage" indication yet. It definitely feels less jittery while dragging the map around compared to the smooth-animation one.

• Dev Team

I can’t test the new option in simulator as the button isn’t there yet

What do you mean? This button should be available in the simulation on the PTR, the UI is the same there.

• Culture

I never knew there was a simulation-ptr. Always assumed it was 1 simulation page.

My migrate room script doesn't work for PTR sadly, so can't test migrating W3N11 to there.

• Dev Team

You could just try to put a lot of animated structures manually, and don't forget to pause the simulation execution.

• Culture

SIM - With smooth animations: http://i.imgur.com/6Z3MmWd.png

SIM - Without smooth animations: http://i.imgur.com/J0MbxNZ.png

• Culture

Hi, sorry, that was the quickest way for me to test many creeps moving around.

The sim, while paused, seems to sit at 30-35%, even after I've put a number of buildings up.

Is there any chance for one more hopefully small adjustment to the smooth animations option? When disabled, could "Ambient" animation loops (energy, source keeper, spawning spawn, reserved/degrading controller, etc) only make a 1 second loop once at the top of any tick?

That would allow a full pause in animations between per-tick animations, allowing the CPU to go into a deeper sleep state temporarily. This should help a lot for laptops. In public there's a 0.5 to 1s space between animations for previous tick and the next tick starting, so this would be perfect.

Thank you! This already helps a lot.