Interesting novice area

• Simple questions:

Is the experience of a new player better in a proper novice area or in the makeshift zones?

Are the random novice areas generating frustration for existing players?

@chaos the issue you bring forth has not happened anywhere so far. I'd suggest we deal with such a problem should it actually occur.

• Dev Team

I got an interesting idea of how to prevent such rooms to be noviced, and also warn other players to not spawn in it.

We introduce a new StructureController property, say, sign. It’s a simple text property that can be set by any creep who reached this controller in close range, even if it’s an unowned or hostile controller. An example usage:

creep.signController(creep.room.controller, "I'm going to claim this room very soon");

Then this text (with the author and date) will be visible to all players in the controller sidepanel and the room sidepanel here:

If the controller is “signed” recently, then this room won’t be converted to a novice area, and this warning will clearly explain some player intentions.

• Dev Team

Is the experience of a new player better in a proper novice area or in the makeshift zones?

Are the random novice areas generating frustration for existing players?

The experience for all players will be worse if we stop making novice areas in inner regions, and desolate empty spaces begin to grow.

• Culture

I like the idea however:

> If the controller is “signed” recently

What's defined as recently? Will signed messages expire?

• Dev Team

They won't expire, but the date is displayed, so we can decide accordingly.

• SUN

I actually like ChaosDMG suggestion of limiting the number of blocks a player may claim rooms in.

I do not want the world to turn up into big regularly-wiped-but-unclaimed zones.

•  But that might be a problem, considering there have to be some players who would already be above that limit

• Artem...

I love you!

That suggestion is extraordinary. Perfect for dealing with everyone's concerns.

• A really great idea, and should offer a bit of fun even beyond its intended purpose. Looking forward to a player doing something like leaving a trail of riddles.

I disagree. If a player is afraid of respawning and losing his 15-days old novice rooms, then probably Screeps is not a good choice for him (at least the official world). His real investment was to produce the code, not the structures.

I think this is very true, we need to make sure this message is being consistently displayed. Most players really dislike the experience of "losing" but in screeps it can be really instructive and part of the fun. It really comes down to how they interpet the event, and most people are predisposed to interpret it in a negative way. I think there are many people who screeps is "a good choice for" if they can just be reminded of that.

I know there are already some game messages that convey the idea (like the one displayed when you need to respawn), but it might be worth thinking about what other areas to drive this point home. 

• Dev Team

Controller signing introduced in this changelog.