Pi server setup

• Good evening all. I've spent the evening trying to get a server setup on a RPI 3. I've gotten so many error messages I don't even know where to start anymore.

I'm going to reload the OS tomorrow and start over. Does anyone know of a good guild online that details the proper steps? How about an image that's already been setup?

I'm definitely in need of some help.

-Conscripted

• I've got to be honest, I have quite a bit of experience with the PI and I don't think this is a good idea. The PI is a good all-purpose portable micro-processor but, unless you're running a processing farm with multiple pis, I don't think it'll be able to effectively handle the load of a server.

Don't let me discourage you, though.

• I appreciate the input and the time you took to reply. I've seen several posts were individuals have stated they've been able to run a server just fine for a few people. I have a spare model 3 sitting around and thought it would be worth the attempt.

I'll be happy if I can get it installed even if it fails to function. I'll only be out my time and effort and I'll undoubtedly learn quite a bit in the process.

Can you help?

-Conscripted

• I've managed to get this working on a pi3b+, it really didn't work very well I'm afraid.

I can connect, I can upload a script and it will run fine for a short while before hanging.

Perhpaps it could be optimized, installing MongoDB or something... but honestly I just think the pi couldn't handle it.

I believe I may still have a pi image with screeps installed, that'll include the bash history and things to help out.

• the last i heard in the slack, was that the build takes more memory than running it in the first place (causing it to fail on a lot of RasPIs). you might need to build it piece-meal, or build it elsewhere and migrate it onto the PI afterwards.

I'd still say that it will not be a very good server, but if youre willing to get it working just as a challenge, i say go for it.

• Thanks for the responses. I never did get the server completely installed. Seems there was always one problem or another.

I'm still interested in getting a private server set up. What are my options? I don't have another computer that I can dedicate.

Any place online I can rent one?

Thanks

-Conscripted

• You can build on a pi if you change the pagefile size, that way it has enough space to build.

change the option CONF_SWAPSIZE in /etc/dphys-swapfile to something higher.

I set it to 1gb then once the build completed, I changed it back so I didn't shred my partition.

https://www.bitpi.co/2015/02/11/how-to-change-raspberry-pis-swapfile-size-on-rasbian/

You can also run a private server for yourself on a reasonable home computer... I do some testing here and there on a local screeps server running on the Win10 machine I am using.

That, or buy a reasonable server for cheap on ebay?

• Thanks for the input iron. I did increase the pagefile size.
    If I were to buy a cheap server I would still need to host it out of my home. Anyone offering a commercial service? The idea of using the pi is because I had it sitting around available. If I need to spend money on this I would rather a good solution. Often the internet at my place is unreliable.

-Conscripted

• Dev Team

I'd ask at #servers channel of the official game Slack for recommendations about hosting for private servers