Subscription Perks for shard3

• Thanks for shard3, it finally made me want to play.

Now that I am playing, I think it's likely that I will continue for a little while. If I do, I'm at some point going to feel like I should pay the sub cost because (all the good reasons to pay subscriptions for games you like).

I would continue to play on shard3 even with a subscription, but if I understand the subscription currently, I would get no benefit.

That's not particularly a problem for me, but it would be cool to get something back that wouldn't cost a lot of dev time or server resources, and also had no gameplay impact.

Just a couple of ideas I had:

Let subscribers add their own SVGs for their badges, with proper rules to maybe make it stick to the Screeps visual style.

Some other accent on the badge to that says "this is a subscriber", such as an extra ring whose color you could choose.

Ability to recolor roads, visible to all players.

Larger space for text when signing controllers.

Recolor an owned room with preset color schemes, such as 'winter theme' or 'desert theme', visible to all players.

• TMB

If you'd like to take avail of cpu subscription without respawning, it's still possible to find a "stargate" to another shard, send a creep through there, and claim a new room.
    Is there something else that retains you on shard3 specifically ?

@braddollar said in Subscription Perks for shard3:

Ability to recolor roads, visible to all players.

Yay, some colors for my land arts !

• If you'd like to take avail of cpu subscription without respawning, it's still possible to find a "stargate" to another shard, send a creep through there, and claim a new room.

That's the primary benefit of a subscription today. At the moment, the inter-shard portals (that's the official name) are not yet open to shard 3, but they should open up in a little over a month.

Example of an inter-shard portal (this is in shard 3, room W0N0):

0_1541195705818_Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.55.00 PM.png

There are a few difficulties with setting up a multi-shard empire. First, you need to allocate CPU to your code on each shard. Second, your code on one shard can't see anything on another shard, except for the variable RawMemory.interShardSegment, so you need to either set your code up to use that or find another way to get your creeps onto a new shard.

• @estecka said in Subscription Perks for shard3:

Is there something else that retains you on shard3 specifically ?

I prefer the idea of a level playing field, where everybody is playing under the same constraints.

• I dont think anything extra should be added to subscribers. The point is that youre purchasing a service of CPU time from the server. Any cosmetic options should be available to all players. There isn't any reason to limit them behind a paywall whereas the subscription is getting you a service that cost money to be provided to you (Server upkeep). Id rather keep the subscription as a service for hire rather than a premium version of the game

👍

• Honestly the main problem is just the difficulty in expanding across shards. If that was made clearer somehow, players on shard 3 would have an easier time spreading out to other shards.

• visual customizations are already an idea the devs have provided. see "Pixels & decoration" in the 2016 Roadmap. That being said, it hasnt happened for over 2 yrs now and, like power creeps, may be another 2 years yet before we see them. https://blog.screeps.com/2016/08/2016-Roadmap/