Hostile 'tunnel' construction-sites can't be removed

• Hello there,

First of all, i'm rather new to Screeps so i hope i'm posting this the right way.

Technical issue (for sure no bug)

Problem: When mining in an external room which i reserve i stumbled upon some tunnel construction-sites, i read in a few topics that you can walk over construction sites to remove them, but for tunnels this is not possible i guess.

Question: Do we have another way of removing them or are you guys thinking about this? Cause as far as i read the documentation roads are general non-owned construction-sites.

Work around: Checking how much energy the construction-site needs of is a valid option to ignore them, but just interesting is this is something that needs to be addressed in the future.

Thanks for checking this one out!

ps. i love the idea/implementation/game ! 🙂 thx!

• TMB

I've heard it's possible to build hostile construction sites -though I never tested it myself,- so if you need a tunnel there, you can just build it, and if you don't, it won't block you from building anything there.

Edit: After a quick check in the sim, you can in fact build hostile sites.

• @estecka thanks for trying and letting me know!

But that is kinda the problem 🙂 my code is setup that i come into an external room i want to harvest energy in. I calculate the best path to each source, and let my builders build everything. If a previous player in that room has some construction-sites already i get rid of them by walking over them but i can't do that for the tunnels. So my builders will build the tunnels as well, which takes a lot of time and resources.

There is an easy work around, so no biggy, but i was just wondering if there would be something in the future to get rid of them.

• TMB

If you don't want to build their sites at all, you should be able to filter them out by using FIND_MY_CONSTRUTION_SITES instead of FIND_CONSTRUCTION_SITES.

If you want to build some, then you'll need some sort of whitelist/blacklist system. I have a system where my builder would first look up a given list of construction sites, and only once they all are done they keep up with the rest.
    I also tried marking certain structures as "disused" to cut the repairs competely, but haven't made it through yet.

When you have a room to spare, I think the easiest way to get rid of these would be to build them, claim the room for just a short while and destroy the tunnels.
    In the long run you'll probably realize that building an expensive structure isn't actually costly, it's maintaining it alive is that is.

Otherwise yeah, I agree there should be a neat way to get rid of hostile constructions sites. Stepping on them seems almost too easy for me, and neither instinctive or fair, (and as we can see here, not reliable).
    I'd rather see it that you could attack/dismantle sites to reduce their progress, and have them removed when the progress becomes negative. Or even have their progress decay out in unowned room.

• @estecka Thanks for the explanation again!

FIND_MY_CONSTRUCTION_SITES won't work on roads though 😞 but in general that is indeed what i use! The whitelist/blacklist system is something i didn't think about, thanks 😄 it gave me some great ideas.

Otherwise yeah, I agree there should be a neat way to get rid of hostile constructions sites. Stepping on them seems almost too easy for me, and neither instinctive or fair, (and as we can see here, not reliable).
    I'd rather see it that you could attack/dismantle sites to reduce their progress, and have them removed when the progress becomes negative. Or even have their progress decay out in unowned room.

That is what i was thinking as well, would be nice to have something in place like that.

• @camenni said in Hostile 'tunnel' construction-sites can't be removed:

FIND_MY_CONSTRUCTION_SITES won't work on roads though

Are you sure? I've not checked, but I'd expect it to work.

• TMB

Checking this real quick in the simulation, it seems to work just fine.

Roads might not be owned structures, but their construction sites are still owned nonetheless. Having roads construction sites be unowned would bring in a lot of troubles.

• @Tigga @Estecka Indeed! I assumed it would be the same for construction-sites as roads themselves are neutral. My bad!

So this issue is no issue if you can restrict them with your own construction-sites. Certainly not if you know that once the room is owned by you, you can remove the hostile construction-sites no sweat.

Thanks for the info and time guys! This issue is solved!