Newbie question here

• I'm on Shard 3, and developing safely with two RCL 6 rooms now. I just purchased 60 days subscription and assigned the extra CPU to Shard 2 (so now I have 20 CPU on Shard 3, and rest on Shard 2).

I am wondering how I could start colonizing into Shard 2 (or any Shard other than Shard 3), because as I looked into rooms in the blue respawn area, I couldn't place my spawn.

I don't exactly know how Shard works. If I click the "respawn" button in Shard 3, can I get into the respawn area in Shard 2? Or, if I send creeps from Shard 3 to Shard 2, do I automatically get into respawn area (because I don't have any room in Shard 2), or do I need to find a room in normal area (which means I probably need to fight against and survive among those ancient RCL 8 rooms)?

Btw, I'm still in novice area, but the timer is ending soon. But I want to get ready before it ends so I can start my colonization ASAP.

Thanks for any help in advance!

• Oh, and this is not my game account. My game account is registered on Steam, so I registered a new one here for posting...😅

• Welcome,

That depends on how you want to get to shard 2. If you click re-spawn you will lose all your rooms/claims on Shard 3, and will beable to respawn anywhere else you should choose including in 'respawn areas'.

However, if you do not want to lose your Shard3 rooms you can do multi-sharding. Bordering your respawn area there are rooms with no controllers generally referred to as 'highway' rooms. Crossroads of these highway borders contain portals to other shards Shard 3 -> Shard 2, Shard 2 -> Shard 1 or Shard 2, and so on.

When a creep steps on the portal, it is transported to the other shard, only retaining its body and name. It will get a new ID and will have no Memory. You will have to set up a system to restore/initialize new memory for it.

As well your code as you have it now will also run on Shard 2, if you have hard-coded references these may break as you don't have the same things on Shard 2 as Shard 3. You'll need to account for this as well.

Similar to claiming other rooms, you need to send a creep with at least 1 claim part though the portal and into a room to claim on the other shard, then send builder creeps to build the spawn.

Its a fun challenge. Good luck.

• Thank you so much! @donatzor said in Newbie question here:

When a creep steps on the portal, it is transported to the other shard, only retaining its body and name. It will get a new ID and will have no Memory. You will have to set up a system to restore/initialize new memory for it.

This is gonna be very hard. Since claimers can only live for 600 ticks, and the place in Shard 2 or 1 (where the portals near me direct to) is basically fully occupied, so even if my claimer gets there, it will need to travel a long way to find a relatively good and safe spot. But I will try it. If it doesn't work, maybe I should respawn in Shard 2 first, and then travel to Shard 3😂 😂

Thanks again for the help and encouragement.