Balance of Links

• Hello,
    I like new options, especially link with its simplicity to use. But I would like argue about 3% margin to be raised to 9-10%.

The reason is that link is superior to transportation network. Lets see,

• CPU - huge improvement to use one command instead of managing swarm of transporteers.
    • Speed. 1t/sq is FAST, because creeps even on roads are only 2t/sq, because they need to go both ways. And then add the bonus of linear distance instead of path. So to get the same speed we need 2x (or more) creeps with the same capacity.
    • Investment - ok, we can use one transport creep instead [MOVEx10 CARRYx10] on roads, but also for that we need even bigger investment in extensions (5k vs 14x3k) plus roads (3k each). So for similar investment (2 extensions) to get the same total energy per square per tick I should use ten [MOVEx4 CARRYx4] creeps without roads (investment already overspent). That a thing to manage and lose CPU.
    • Maintaince - Link does not decay, creeps and roads do. Link only loses 3% per transfer. To move 500 energy, Link loses 15 energy. Huge creep (1k capacity, costs 2k energy) with roads that would have the same energy/squares/tick ratio would decay by 2 * 2000 / 1800 or 20 / 9 per square and road would decay by from 2 * 1 if a new one down to 2 * 0.01 if old (repaired) one. For more creeps, without roads and other situations it is even more expensive and I will doing thr math for you. To sum up: Link costs 15e flat, transport creep minimum cost is 20/9 + 2 * 0.01=~=2.25e/sq. So, even at the very best case after insane investments in extensions and roads, Link is cheaper if straight distance over plains only is 7 (including) or more.
    • Maintaince #2 - if idle, Link costs nothing, creeps decay anyway.
    • Complexity - it is far easier to program Link instead of well organized squad of transport creeps.

P.S. One Link has power to push all income of one source 50 squares or income of two sources 25 squares away.

The only downside is arbitrary limitation on number of Links.

To sum up, Links in all cases are superior to transportation creeps. I do like Links and they should have a place in Screeps, but everything needs to have a tradeoff. In my opinion, margin should be raised to at least 9-10%, and even at that level Links will be worse off only in straight distance across plains below ~20 squares afar without considering all other effects.

• 'no'
    downvote
    sage