[solved] How to find containers ? - when assign and concat don't mix

• Hi all,

I have the same problem as the author of this post :

http://screeps.com/forum/topic/945/CONTAINER-not-found 

However, I have already written it correctly (well, obvioulsy not in fact), yet it does not work :

buildings.concat(
    Object.assign(
    [],
    creep.room.find(
    FIND_STRUCTURES,
    {filter : (s) => {return s.structureType == STRUCTURE_CONTAINER}}
    )
    )
    );
    // buildings are filled first with spawns and extensions and only then containers are added to it.
    // so iterating over buildings, the first buildings will be spawns and extensions.
    assert(buildings.length == 7, 'container not detected in hauler AI');

what is wrong with it ?

Could someone explain to me the subtleties of thes evasive unowned structures ?

• Nah, forget it : apparently concat() and Object.assign() don't mix very well... I really don't know why, but it did. That is... a bit depressing though when things that should work don't ...

anyway... hope it can be of use to someone.

• hi, 

I guess the problem is, assign is intended to use with objects { }, not arrays [ ]. doc

• I somehow don't see what you use Object.assign for. Wouldn't the following do what you want?

buildings.concat(creep.room.find(
                FIND_STRUCTURES,
                {filter : (s) => {return s.structureType == STRUCTURE_CONTAINER}}
    );

• Well,

I just got out of bed, so I can't tell you why exactly I used Object.assign beside that I remember observing on objects returned byt the game, that their type were not nececarily basic type[*], thus leaving some method calls with 'undefined is not a function'... that is when its returned value is assigned to a variable, otherwise, no error raised, and hell that is an unwelcomed change from Python or C#. Anyway, now I remember why I used it : I just didn't remebember if the returned object of creep.room.find were a real Array, I still have to remember how to test the type of an array, instead of 'typeof []', whom return value is not helpful [Object object] or something...

By the way, here is the code right now - will be slightly modified to handle cases where there is no containers - with the preceding section, you will notice that I also used Object.assign with no problems whatsoever in the first part:

let buildings = Object.assign([],creep.room.find(FIND_MY_STRUCTURES, {
    filter: function(structure){
    return (structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_EXTENSION || structure.structureType == STRUCTURE_SPAWN);
    }}));
    assert(buildings.length > 0, 'spawns and extensions not detected in hauler AI');
    let lenBuildings = buildings.length;
    let tmp = creep.room.find(
    FIND_STRUCTURES,
    {filter: (s) => s.structureType == STRUCTURE_CONTAINER}
    );
    assert(tmp[0].structureType == STRUCTURE_CONTAINER);
    buildings = buildings.concat(tmp);
    // buildings are filled first with spawns and extensions and only then containers are added to it.
    // so iterating over buildings, the first buildings will be spawns and extensions.
    assert(buildings.length > lenBuildings, 'container not detected in hauler AI');
    assert(buildings[lenBuildings].structureType == STRUCTURE_CONTAINER);

[*]:but maybe these observations were just the fruits of tireness...