Memory resets every tick in simulation

• Hi,

I've started out on a live server and made some code to detect when I respawn. This worked OK, but then I wanted to try the simulation and it looks like the memory gets reset every tick. I've cut down the code to the bare minimum and I still don't see the problem. Could someone have a look at my code and point me in the right direction?

Full code:

function newGameSetup() {

var newGame = false;
        if (Memory.firstSpawnId != Game.spawns['Spawn1'].id) {
            newGame = true;
        }

if (newGame) {    
            console.log('Setting up new game')
            var spawnPlaced = false;
            while (!spawnPlaced) {
                if (Object.keys(Game.spawns).length) {
                   spawnPlaced = true;
                   newGame = false;
                }
            }

Memory = {
                squads: {},
                creeps: {},
                spawns: {},
                rooms: {},
                firstSpawnId: Game.spawns['Spawn1'].id
            };
        }    
    }

module.exports.loop = function () {
        console.log('Memory begin of game loop: ' + JSON.stringify(Memory));
        newGameSetup();
        console.log('Memory end of game loop: ' + JSON.stringify(Memory));
    }

Console logging:

[3:28:56 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [3:28:56 PM]Setting up new game
    [3:28:56 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"b2d9f725ca04df4c66c41f23"}
    [3:28:57 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [3:28:57 PM]Setting up new game
    [3:28:57 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"b2d9f725ca04df4c66c41f23"}
    [3:28:58 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [3:28:58 PM]Setting up new game
    [3:28:58 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"b2d9f725ca04df4c66c41f23"}
    [3:28:59 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [3:28:59 PM]Setting up new game
    [3:28:59 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"b2d9f725ca04df4c66c41f23"}
    [3:29:00 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [3:29:00 PM]Setting up new game
    [3:29:00 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"b2d9f725ca04df4c66c41f23"}

• I would presume that Memory.firstSpawnId != Game.spawns['Spawn1'].id is failing you somehow as it shouldn't execute if false. Would instead simply try checking if firstSpawnId exists, then not run your setup code if that's the case. Or alternatively, set a boolean like you have with newgame in Memory and check for that, if its there, return early out of the function (no need to do any further checks)

Would also highly recommend checking out screep's discord, more dynamic help.

• @Donatzor Many thanks for your reply.

Exiting the function early is a crazy good idea. Thanks:)

Unfortunately, it didn't solve the memory issue. There are no lines of code between the last line in the main loop and the first. Still, the memory is gone. I'll go ahead and check out discord as well.

function newGameSetup() {

if (Memory.firstSpawnId === Game.spawns['Spawn1'].id) {
            return;
        }

console.log('Setting up new game')
        var spawnPlaced = false;
        while (!spawnPlaced) {
            if (Object.keys(Game.spawns).length) {
               spawnPlaced = true;
            }
        }

Memory = {
            squads: {},
            creeps: {},
            spawns: {},
            rooms: {},
            firstSpawnId: Game.spawns['Spawn1'].id
        };
    }

module.exports.loop = function () {
        console.log('Memory begin of game loop: ' + JSON.stringify(Memory));
        newGameSetup();
        console.log('Memory end of game loop: ' + JSON.stringify(Memory));
    }

[4:54:59 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [4:54:59 PM]Setting up new game
    [4:54:59 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"3225a929cc7310e6abcee4e9"}
    [4:55:00 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [4:55:00 PM]Setting up new game
    [4:55:00 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"3225a929cc7310e6abcee4e9"}
    [4:55:01 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [4:55:01 PM]Setting up new game
    [4:55:01 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"3225a929cc7310e6abcee4e9"}
    [4:55:02 PM]Memory begin of game loop: {"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"flags":{}}
    [4:55:02 PM]Setting up new game
    [4:55:02 PM]Memory end of game loop: {"squads":{},"creeps":{},"spawns":{},"rooms":{},"firstSpawnId":"3225a929cc7310e6abcee4e9"}

• Hm. I am not sure, Sim does react differently then the MMO or private server does, but not quite to that degree I thought, would try this on the MMO or a private server and see if you get the same result

• Yeah, it does work fine on the MMO. I quess I'll stick to that then. Thanks again