More efficient client

• This is a super vague request as it involves a lot of work on your part (maybe?). But for what the client does it's incredibly inefficient.

Whether it's the steam client or running in chrome (The client being the worst culprit of the two), the game uses 2+ GB of memory and roughly 15+% of my CPU (i7-3770K). This would be easy to overlook if it ran well, but it doesn't as it stutters and is at times unresponsive.

tl;dr This is far from my area of expertise but just speaking strictly as a consumer, the game runs terrible and is a massive resource hog. We're not talking crysis level detail... far from it, this could pass as a 2006 browser based game I played at school instead of paying attention in class.

• https://i.imgur.com/fwB98tL.png

• Who cares 2GB is nothing.

If any perf work is going to be done, I would focus on the responsiveness of the client, not how many resources it uses.

my 2c

• @shedletsky said in More efficient client:

Who cares 2GB is nothing.

If any perf work is going to be done, I would focus on the responsiveness of the client, not how many resources it uses.

my 2c

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the client being resource hungry while also performing like crap go hand in hand.

😲

• Culture

Agreed. If anything performance seems to be worse with the change from SVG graphics. Now when you zoom in inside a room the whole page stutters to a halt in chrome. I'm running an r9 280X and 3570k so those aren't the issue and this wasn't really a problem when SVG was in use.

The map view is also pretty bad with larger window sizes. Having the window set to 1440p, it takes about 5 seconds to load all the rooms in the map and just panning around is incredibly slow.

Strangely, firefox seems to have better performance at room level but worse at the map since it freezes the entire window until every room in view is loaded.