Script for adding extensions to Spawn

• Hello, I am new to this forum and to Screeps. And I was not sure if this post belongs to the Help catagory or not.

Anyway I want my creeps to be able to add extensions to any spawn. My idea was to make a method that I can add to all spawns called 'addExtension'. So when I call Game.spawns['Spawn1'].addExtension a construction site would be placed. But I am not sure how to program this. I want the extensions to be placed in a checker pattern around the spawn. I guess the method should just go over all tiles in that checker pattern till it finds an empty space.

I hope somebody can help me with this or tell me how else I should do it

Edit: http://rein.ga/i/jHgW4.png Kind of how it should look but made from the inside out

• Structures placement is a hot and hard topic. A lot of players just do it manually, other have complex algorithms spreading over several ticks to find the best "room layout".

My tip for a generic placement:

• List the potentials positions (ie: all plain or swamp tiles of the room).
    • Remove tiles which don't fit some arbitrary rules (ie: in your case, filter all tiles where (x + y) % 2 === 0 which will create a checker pattern)
    • Score the remaining tile based, for example, on distance and keep the best one (ie: use (pos) => spawn.pos.getRangeTo(pos) function to score and keep the minimum).
    😀

• @hiryus After some trial and effort I got my spawns happily adding extensions if there aren't enough yet. Can't thank you enough.